Welcome to Stormes.com

Are you a Stormes or a Stormes relative? Would you like your own "@stormes.com" email address? If you do, then send me an email with your name, current email address, and three requested email addresses (in order of your preference) and I will set you up right away.
Marc Stormes

Already have a "@stormes.com" email address? Go to http://mail.stormes.com to log in.

U.S.S. Stormes
Logo from the front of the 1945 cruise book
Logo from the front of the 1945 cruise book
Image from a postcard dated Nov 3, 1959, Genoa, Italy.
Image from a postcard dated Nov 3, 1959, Genoa, Italy.
USS Stormes

USS Stormes
DD-780 (Sumner Class)

Builder:        Todd Pacific
Laid Down:      July 25, 1943
Launched:       November 4, 1944
Commissioned:   January 27, 1945
Decommissioned: December 5, 1970 
Fate:           To Iran September 15, 1972 as Palang

USS Stormes

The Ship and Her History  


The following was submitted by Michael L. Cole The text is from the 1954 Cruise Book.

The USS Stormes was named for Commander Max clifford Stormes, who was killed in action in the Pacific in 1942. She was built at Seattle Todd Shipyard in the summer of 1944, and was commissioned January 27, 1945.

Two months later she was westward bound for Pearl Harbor for duty with the Fifth Fleet at Okinawa. Upon arrival at Hayski Anchorage, Okinawa on May 23rd, she was assigned tactical command of a radar picket patrol. Action came fast, air attacks were warded off all through the day of the 24th and at 0904 on the 25th a lone Japanese Kamikaze, spotted by lookouts, and was taken under fire. After making a deceptive approach at an accompanying destroyer, the plane made a sudden turn and plunged into the after superstructure just forward of mount three. a 500 pound bomb penetrated the decks and exploded in number 3 magazine killing 21 and injuring 16. She fought like a veteran refusing to go down after being critically damaged. Quick action by repair parties prevented loss of the ship. By 1045 all fires were out and the ship was capable of making 20 knots as she headed back to Okinawa. Still a fighting ship, the USS Stormes fought off two enemy air attacks and innumerable raids during the dry dock repair period at Buckner Bay. The war ended and by the 17th of September she was steaming under the Golden Gate Bridge, a veteran after only a few hours of enemy action. And so ended the short but valiant career of the USS Stormes as combatant Destroyer of World War II.

After reconditioning on the west coast the ship was transferred to the Atlantic Fleet and entered into the routine exercises of the North Atlantic and Mediterranean for the next three years. In the spring of 1950 the USS Stormes was "mothballed" to be ready in case of emergencies.

The outbreak of the Korean War brought her up to date with current Ship-Alts. She was once more ready to go with modern weapons. On may 14, 1951 she stood out for a Korean tour, flagship for Excort Destroyer Division 21.

Upon detachment she came back the long way. In her "round the world junket" she made calls at Japan, Okinawa, Singapore, Ceylon Bahrein, Aden, Suez, La Spezia, Marseille, and Gibralter.

All lines were doubled up at Norfolk on 21 December 1951. A period of leave and upkeep was followed by du5ty at Bloodsworth Island, Quantico, and Pensacola. Midshipmen came aboard during the summer of 1952 and a cruise was made to European waters. Upon return the ship was assigned to HuKLant. In the course of this tour, calls were made at various Carribean ports. Detachment in March 1953 brought on a weekly operating schedule, Norfolk being home port. Services were provided for subs at Key West in May 1953. Upon return the ship entered the Norfolk Naval Shipyard at Portsmouth, Virginia, for alterations and repairs.

Refresher training at Guantanamo Bay was followed by leave, liberty and recreation over Christmas of 1953. On 3 February she started out on the 1954 cruise. Ports of call included Naples, Port Said, Aden, Colombo, Singapore, Yokosuka, Kobe, Sasebo, Midway, Pearl Harbor, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Balboa and back home to Norfolk. Operations at sea between Yokosuka and Kobe included working with the USS Saipan, Randolph and Los Angeles.

U. S. S. STORMES - DD780

27 January 1945

In accordance with the orders from the Chief of Naval Operations, Captain H. N. WALLIN, U. S. Navy, Supervisor of Shipbuilding at Todd Pacific Shipbuilding Corporation, read his orders, and placed the U.S.S. STORMES in commission as a Destroyer of the U.S.Fleet at 1000. Immediately following this Commander W. N. WYLIE, U.S.Navy, of the Naval Accademy class of 1930 and former Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. Scorpion, read his orders and accepted the ship from Captain WALLIN and assumed command. The original officers and crew included Lieutenant R. S. CRENSHAW, Jr., U.S.Navy, former Executive Officer of the U.S.S. Maury as Executive Officer; Lieutenant R. P. SPENCER, U.S.Naval Reserve, former Communication Officer of the U.S.S. Coghlan, as CommunicationŒOfficer; Lieutenant P. D. FISLER, U.S.Navy, formerly of the U.S.S. Benham and U.S.S. Isherwood, as Gunnery Officer; Lieutenant Stephen BAYES, U.S.Naval Reserve, formerly Engineering Officer of the U.S.S. Earle; and the following officers: Lt. (jg) R. W. WALKER; Lt. (jg) J. F. BELL; Lt. (jg) J. W. BALLANTINE; Lt. (jg) J. R. STREIDL; Lt. (jg) W. H. NEWSOME; Ensign D. L. McGAHUEY; Ensign C. VROEGINDEWEY; Ensign V. E. KELL; Ensign C. J. WILSON; Ensign J. E. EGGLESTON; Ensign R. J. DANIELSON; Ensign J. T. BUKANT; Ensign W. W. LAUER; Ensign A. L. OLIVERO; Lt. (jg) R. M. ANDERSON (MC); and Ensign R. W. BONNEWELL (SC) and 343 men.

During the Commissioning Ceremony, the original colors and Commission Pennant were presented from the Todd Pacific Shipbuilding Corporation by Mrs. LUTTRELL. Immediately after the formal Commissioning Ceremonies, visitors were allowed on board and refreshments were served in all messes.

By the first of February the ship was complete in all but very minor details when commissioned, and the period until 2 February was spent in storing, provisioning and outfitting the ship with very little hindrance from the building yard. At 0842 on 2 February the STORMES first got underway as a ship in full commission to carry out tests and trials in the Seattle area of Puget Sound. That afternoon the ship moored to deperming buoy and was depermed and received the original allowance of training ammunition.

The following twelve days while cruising the Seattle area of Puget Sound the ship went through all the rigors of a newly commissioned vessel, such as compass compensations, calibration of degaussing gear, radar calibrations, structual firing, and daily general drills.

On 14 February, following our final inspection by COTCPac SubCommand, Seattle, CTG 14.9.2, we got underway at 1318 and proceeded out the straits enroute to San Diego. Upon clearing Cape Flattery at 2200, we encountered a heavy northwesterly sea and experienced heavy weather for the most of the trip south. General Quarters was held daily and by this time the crew was becoming familiar with their duties and battle stations and although hampered by considerable seasickness by the inexperienced personnel, the interest of all hands was excellent.

At 1317, 18 February, arrived San Diego and moored at Buoy 8 and 8A and reported for duty to Commander, San Diego Shakedown Group.

On 19 February, shakedown period started and at 1000, Captain R. W. SIMPSON, Chief of Staff, and inspecting officers inspected the ship with respect to personnel, material, and administration. On the following day got underway and proceeded to Anti-Submarine Training Area SS2 to commence anti-submarine instructions. At the completion of the anti-submarine period, the ship had completed all of the elementary and some of the advance anti-submarine instruction and was scored at about 50% hits on the attacks made on the friendly submarine.

On Sunday, 25 February, proceeded to sea and ran the measured mile off the La Jolla Coast and it was found that the standard RPM's versus speed of this vessel was very nearly accurate and no major changes were made.

March 1945

March found us in the thick of shakedown pains--we had thought our ships compliment a bit heavy for the limited quarters available, but when we added the various additions of the shakedown scientists, all hands dreamed of the day when we could sail again in our previous state. However, we shot down our sleeves, identified and sunk the false submarine, set condition able in record time and passed all the damage control problems, except the one muffed by the unholy repair three outfit. Liberty was tantalizingly good but short. The art of mooring fore and aft was finally mastered and the second division learned to put the plugs in the small boat before lowering away.

All points considered, the San Diego shakedown period proved excellent training for the crew and we all felt proud of our ship as we became acquainted with her abilities.

1 April 1945

Moored at buoys 8 and 8A, San Diego having completed shakedown and had our final battle and military inspection the day before. The day being Easter Sunday, the Captain invited two Chaplains out for the morning and religious services were held in the mess hall. After the services, at 1112, the ship was gotten underway to proceed to Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Washington. At 0530 on 5 April the ship entered the Straits of Juan de Fuca, and proceeded up the channel. The following day with assistance from a tug and pilot we entered floating drydock No. 7, Puget Sound Navy Yard.

7-22 April 1945

Work on the STORMES was begun on the morning of the seventh. The yard effected many small repairs, modifications and alterations, some of the most notable follow.

Two expansion joints at frames 96 and 122 were installed in the deck house to reduce possibility of buckling decks and bulkheads when the ship logged and sagged in heavy weather.

A new ventilation duct and fan was installed to more thoroughly ventilate the I.C. and Plotting Room.

Measure 22 was effected on the ship's camouflage, consisting of painting the hull, above half the freeboard, a dark blue and the remaining top side surfaces a light blueish-gray.

The yard manufactured a new summary plotting device from plans furnished by the ship. This device has created much interest from CIC inspecting personnel and personnel of other ships. It consists of two beams of light, the axis of one being centered on the SG radar, P.P.I., the axis of the second centered on a summary plot board mounted adjacent to the SG. Through parallel motion arms, the beam of light spotted on the P.P.I. also spots the second beam on the summary plotting board in the same corresponding position. The board keeper merely marks the spot with a pencil and the search sweep is not stopped in the process.

A new VF R.P.P.I. was installed on CIC which we believe will increase the overall CIC General Quarters and condition watch efficiency greatly. Along this line, ship's force has concentrated external communication controls, jackboxes, and microphones on the starboard side forward of the SC radar. The advantage of this had already been evidenced during the shakedown. In addition to the above improvements many additional radio and radar units were installed during the post shakedown availability. Two new officers reported aboard, Lt. G. SHARP relieving Lt. S. BAYES, Engineering officer; Ensign GROSS relieving Ensign BUCKANT, in the communications department. After dock trials to test the repaired thrust bearing, the ship got underway at 1337 for Pearl Harbor, T. H. At 2130 entered open sea and set course for Pearl Harbor. Entered Pearl Harbor about 0730, 30 April and proceeded direct to Berth B-20, NYPH for repairs to No. 2 5" gun.

1 May 1945

After a short availability at Pearl Harbor, the STORMES, escorting the LOUISVILLE, set a westerly course, destination Guam Island, Marianas to report to the FIFTH Fleet for duty. During this cruise from Pearl to Guam, the LOUISVILLE and STORMES held daily burst practice to further indoctrinate their new crews. Crossed the 180th Meridian. Fueled from the LOUISVILLE in the afternoon of 12 May. Since sea conditions permitted, the cruiser launched a patrol plane. 1800 changed to 12 zone time. Entered Apra Harbor, Guam at 1046, 18 May 1945. That evening the passengers were detached and stores and ammunition were received aboard. Underway again after refueling as screen for U.S.S. LOUISVILLE, enroute to Okinawa Shima, Ryuku Islands on 19 May 1945. On 23 May 1945 land was sighted about noon, Okinawa. On our arrival at Okinawa, Hagushi anchorage, we reported to Commander Task Group for screening duty. At dusk we got underway and patrolled in a close in AA screen with several destroyers. After dark we returned to anchorage. During this time the Island and ships were undergoing air attack. However, smoke coverage was provided and proved very effective. The following morning after furling, we were assigned duty as picket ship on R.P.15.

We departed Hagushi Anchorage early that afternoon in company with two destroyers to our assigned stations. On arrival at R.P.15 we relieved the destroyers now on duty and were assigned a group of four LCS in addition to the two destroyers in our company. All picket ships were under tactical command of the STORMES. The LCS group was assigned a patrol line of 135@T-315@T which they patrolled in column at speed of about ten knots; executing a 180@ turn movement every twenty minutes without signal. Order of DD's: 780, 527, 741. The above movements maintained the patrol lines within the allotted five mile circle and provided mutual support. Fighter direction and C.A.P. control was delegated to AMMEN while STORMES assumed duties of radar reporting via the warning net. Interchange of radar information between ships was conducted via the TBS and tactical directives were transmitted via MAN and MN circuits. At 1900 STORMES went to precautionary general quarters and at 1930 C.A.P. and fighters returned to base. At about 2000, enemy planes began to appear to the northward; the majority of which passed well clear, heading toward OKINAWA. A few single planes remained in near vicinity and sporadic attacks toward formation, but turned away at 5-7000 yards when taken under fire. While under attack the speed of the DD's was increased to 25 knots and various tactical maneuvers were executed to keep the guns bearing and the LCS group in support. The patrol line was shifted to 090@-270@ and then to 045@-225@, which was roughly normal to the direction from which the majority of planes were approaching.

A total of 9 planes were taken under fire by this and other vessels until 0330, when radar screen was clear. No planes were observed shot down. At 0530 fighter support reported on station and at 0800 bogies again made their appearance. The weather conditions had by this time steadily grown worse until visibility was about 6000 yards with intermittent rain squalls accompanied by a low overcast of about 2000 feet. At 0905 an enemy plane in close proximity to two friendly fighters appeared momentarily in the haze on STORMES starboard quarter and crossing astern: STORMES being the last ship in column. The ship was then turned left to bring guns to bear. The plane next appeared on the port beam, on or near a parallel course at a range of about 2000 yards, altitude 1500 feet; and apparently making a dive towards the stern of the vessel ahead (AMMEN). STORMES opened fire with 5" and automatic weapons. The plane then did a wing over and came down on its back in a near vertical dive on the STORMES' after torpedo mount. The impact was followed by a violent shaking of the ship and heavy fires billowed aft from the torpedo mount and 5" mount three. No further plane attacks were made and C.T.G. 51.5 was notified of the casualty. Control of the ship was retained and the fires were shortly brought under control while position in the patrol formation was exchanged with AMMEN. At 1200, U.S.S. SPROSTON joined under orders of C.T.G. 51.5 to escort STORMES to base. O.T.C. was delegated to DREXLER at 1220 and STORMES proceeded to base; arriving at Hagushi at 1515.

During the month of June and the first five days of July, the STORMES remained in Kerama Rhetto, Okinawa with numerous units of the Pacific THIRD and FIFTH Fleets waiting to go into drydock.

Evening air contacts were experienced frequently during the daylight hours and constantly at night. However, smoke coverage was very good and our port watch consisting of Officer of the Deck on the Bridge, Junior Officer of the Deck at the Quarterdeck, and C.I.C. continuously manned proved adequate. At night a special sentry and security squad with small arms were possted, primarily for protection against suicide boats and swimmers. Weekly inspections kept the ship in excellent condition, with the exception of compartments C204LM, C205LM, C12A, C11A, C306M, and C307M, which were severely damaged when the ship was hit. All hands enjoyed the frequent swim parties and smokers and the morale of the ship's personnel remained good.

On the 5th of July preparations were made to get underway at first light, to be towed, for Buckner Bay, Okinawa Shima, the new fleet anchorage. Got underway at 0533 anchoring in Buckner Bay at 1835 after a slow but uneventful trip. There were enemy aircraft in the vicinity in the early evening, but no attacks were evidenced. On the 15th of July, the wind force increased to 25 knots and the barometer dropped considerably during the morning. Though the storm was not serious, the anchor chain was veered to 60 fathoms for safety. The wind and swell abated toward evening. On 17 July got underway at 1657 with the assistance of two tugs, proceeding to ARD 13 for drydocking. At 2035 the ship was on the blocks and the dock dry. After consultations with and directions from Com-SerDiv 104 Maintenance Officr, ARD 13 repair crews commenced emergency repairs to the battle damage.

The damage to be repaired briefly consisted of a large hole in the bottom of the after end of the keel, caused by bomb explosion which also bowed the shafts. Additional bend to the shafts was caused by the sag of the fantail due to weakened members of the structure. The following day a typhoon approaching 'from eastward caused the operational ships to sortie to ride the storm out at sea. At dusk two enemy suicide planes passed astern, one crashed into a nearby destroyer causing negligible damage, the other crashed into the bay. The strong wind visibly marred their aim. On the 20th of July the winds were still high and activity centered pricipally on strengthening the shores between the ship and the dock. The ships which retired to ride out the storm at sea returned as the winds and swells had subsided considerably.

During the next three weeks, although enemy air attacks were a constant menace, work on temporary repair of the battle damaged hull progressed quite rapidly. At 2115, August 10th, unofficial enemy surrender reports were received over our voice radios, many of the ships turned on their search lights, fired pyrotechnics and machine guns. We exercised the crew at General Quarters to preserve order and discipline. Two days later two enemy planes flew into the harbor with running lights on, crossed our bow and crashed into a transport nearby. After undocking on August 13, we refueled and shoved off for sea trials, found port shaft vibrated excessively at 200 RPM. The following day at 1530 we received a dispatch from CincPac to cease offensive operations with the enemy--JAPAN. Called crew to General Quarters four hours later with enemy air raid iminent. However, no ships in the immediate vicinity were hit.

We got underway for Saipan with Captain WYLIE acting as Convoy Commodore, at 1203, 17 August. Proceeding with various units of the NINTH Fleet as escort screen, numerous Navy Auxiliary Craft and twelve merchant ships. Steaming on port screw, starboard screw secured and locked. The convoy was divided 21 August into the Ulithi section and the Saipan section. The STORMES acting as O.T.C. and Convoy Commandore for the Saipan group. Anchored in Saipan at 1150, 24 August, transferred passengers, refueled and got underway again at 1700, proceeding singly enroute to Pearl Harbor, T.H. We stopped by Eniwetok Island to refuel and were joined by a Patrol Craft as escort to Pearl Harbor. Underway again at 1729, 30 August. The STORMES entered Pearl Harbor at 0630, 9 September where we received fuel and transferred passengers and prepared to get underway the following day for San Francisco, California.

Underway for San Francisco at 1721, 10 September with additional passengers and 50,000 pounds of United States mail aboard. The trip was uneventful with the exception of the last two and a half days when we encountered a sixty knot gale from the north and experienced heavy seas, much to the discomfort of all hands. However, with the sighting of the Farallone Islands the wind subsided and we proceeded into the sea channel for San Francisco Bay at 0940 and passed under the Golden Gate at 1156 on the 17th of September. We proceeded immediately to unload our ammunition and then steamed under the Oakland bridge to Hunters Point Navy Drydocks, pier four to report for availability in regards to the repair of the ship.



(DD-780: dp. 2,200; l. 376'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 14'5", s. 34 k.; cpl. 345; a. 6 5", 12 40mm., 11 20mm., 2 dct., 6 dcp., 10 21 tt.; cl. Allen M. Sumner)

Stormes (DD-780) was laid down on 25 July 1943 by Todd- Pacific Shipyards Inc., Seattle, Wash. launched on 4 November 1944, sponsored by Mrs. M. C. Stormes; and commissioned on 27 January 1945, Comdr. William N. Wylie in command

Stormes was fitted out at Seattle and departed there on 14 February for the San Diego Bay area where she held her shakedown training. Upon completion of her shakedown, she sailed on 1 April for Bremerton for a post-shakedown overhaul. Dock trials were held on the morning of the 22d; and, that afternoon, the destroyer put to sea, en route to Hawaii.

Stormes arrived at Pearl Harbor on 30 April and sailed the next day as escort for Louisville (CA-28) en route to Okinawa, via Guam. The two ships arrived at Hagushi anchorage on 23 May and joined the 5th Fleet. The destroyer was immediately assigned to the antiaircraft screen. She spent the night in the anchorage and took her position in the screen the next day. The ship underwent her first air raid that evening. The weather was bad on the morning of 25 May with poor visibility and intermittent rain squalls. At 0905, a Japanese plane was sighted as it passed between two Navy planes and headed for Ammen (DD-527) directly ahead of Stormes At the last moment, the plane turned and crashed into Stormes aft torpedo mount. Its bomb exploded in the magazine under her number three 5-inch mount. The ship was on fire, and sea water poured through holes in the hull. By noon, repair parties had extinguished the fires and plugged the holes. Twenty-one members of the crew were killed and 15 injured.

The battered destroyer slowly made her way back to Kerama Retto. She remained there until 5 July when she moved to Buckner Bay to enter a floating drydock. The ship left drydock on 13 August and was sufficiently seaworthy the for the long trip back to the United States, even though only her port shaft was in commission. Stormes stood out of Buckner Bay on 17 August and steamed, via Saipan, Eniwetok, and Pearl Harbor, to San Francisco. She arrived at Hunters Point on 17 September and began a three-month overhaul.

The destroyer held refresher training in the San Diego area and, in January 1946, sailed for the east coast. She arrived at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, on 14 January, and, before continuing to Norfolk, acted as a plane guard for aircraft carriers holding shakedown operations in the area.

Stormes arrived at Norfolk on 1 February and spent the remainder of the month preparing for Operation "Frostbite" which was to take place in March. Midway (CVB-41), a tanker, Stormes and two other destroyers, moved into an area between Greenland, Labrador, and Hudson Strait in March to test carrier operations in sub-zero temperatures. Upon completion of the operation, Stormes steamed to the Brooklyn Navy Yard for upkeep. On 11 April, she sailed to Casco Bay, Maine, for training and returned for a major overhaul. On 22 July, she sailed to Guantanamo Bay for refresher training and returned to Norfolk on 9 September. In October 1946, the destroyer escorted the Philippine Sea (CV-47) to Guantanamo Bay for the carrier's shakedown.

In January 1947, Stormes participated in an exercise at Guantanamo Bay and returned to the Caribbean the following month for a fleet exercise. The destroyer carried out routine fleet duties from her Norfolk base until 1950. In August, she sailed to Charleston, S.C., for inactivation.

However, she was reactivated in September due to the Korean war. In December 1950, she began a three-month yard overhaul at Charleston which was followed by a six-week shakedown cruise. In May 1951, the destroyer sailed to the west coast and was routed onward to join the 7th Fleet off Korea.

Stormes operated with Task Force 77, shelling enemy lines, screening large fleet units, rescuing downed pilots, and performing antisubmarine duties until January 1952 when she returned to Norfolk.

Stormes made a midshipman cruise to England and France that summer and then operated along the Atlantic seaboard until June 1953 when she entered the Norfolk Navy Yard for a four-month yard period and its subsequent shakedown. In I February 1954, the destroyer embarked on a world cruise which took her to Naples, Suez, Port Said, Aden, Colombo, Singapore, Yokosuka, Sasebo, Midway, and Pearl Harbor. She reached San Francisco in July and returned to Norfolk in August.

Stormes sailed, on 4 January 1955, for the Caribbean to participate in Operation "Springboard 55." She operated with Valley Forge (CVS-45) in Antisubmarine Group 3 from 4 January to August. The destroyer participated in a NATO exercise in early September and then continued local operations until February 1956 when she entered the Norfolk Navy Yard. Stormes left the shipyard in May and sailed to Guantanamo Bay for refresher training which lasted until July. From then to November, the ship participated in local exercises to maintain her state of readiness in anticipation of an overseas tour.

On 7 November, Stormes sailed with Destroyer Division 261 and arrived at Naples, Italy, a month later where she was attached to the 6th Fleet. She served with the fast carriers in the Mediterranean until returning to Norfolk on 20 February 1957. The ship operated along the east coast until 3 September when she sailed as part of an attack carrier strike force for Operation "Seaspray." After crossing the North Atlantic, the ships arrived at the River Clyde, Scotland, where a number of NATO ships were waiting to take part in Operation "Strikeback." The operation ended in late September, and the destroyer sailed to Gibraltar to join the 6th Fleet for her second tour which ended at Norfolk on 22 December 1957.

Stormes remained in port until 27 January 1958 when she embarked on a two-week exercise with other ships of DesDiv 261. The remainder of the year and part of 1959 saw the destroyer taking part in local and fleet operations from New York to the Caribbean. On 7 August 1959, she sailed for her third tour with the 6th Fleet which terminated upon her return to Norfolk on 26 February 1960. The ship entered the Navy Yard on 3 June for a FRAM II conversion which lasted until 5 January 1961. On the 24th, she sailed for Guantanamo Bay where she held refresher training, gunnery practice, and participated in group exercises.

Stormes sailed for Norfolk, via Key West, and arrived there on 1 April. She operated with fleet units on the east coast and in the Caribbean for the remainder of the year. The highlight of the year's activities came in November when Stormes was designated to recover a spacecraft carrying a chimpanzee named Enos. The spacecraft landed approximately 30 miles from the destroyer. Stormes, aided by an aircraft which had the capsule in sight, recovered it and Enos who was in good health. She spent the next year operating with Task Group Alfa, a hunter-killer group developing the antisubmarine readiness of the Fleet.

On 9 November 1962, Stormes joined the Cuban Blockade and continued that duty until tensions eased. She then resumed her regular operations. In August of the following year, "the 780" became the first United States ship to visit Santa Marta, Colombia, since 1830. In the latter part of 1963, she underwent an overhaul. She operated with Task Group Alfa in 1964- until October when she participated in Operation "Steelpike." Her task group acted as the hunter-killer group that preceded the main body of ships as they crossed the Atlantic.

Stormes continued operating with Task Group Alfa until May 1965 when she was ordered to patrol the coastal waters of the Dominican Republic during the revolution there. When relieved of patrol duty, she returned to Norfolk and prepared for a deployment period. She was with the 6th Fleet from June to August and returned to her home port in early September. On 1 June 1966, Stormes stood out of Norfolk with DesRon 32 for a six and one-half month deployment to the western Pacific.

While in WestPac, Stormes' primary duty was plane guard for Constellation (CVA-64) in the Tonkin Gulf. At one time, she was called on to provide gunfire support to ground forces ashore for a three-day period. She returned to Norfolk, via the Mediterranean, on 17 December 1966. After east coast operations in the spring and summer of 1967, Stormes deployed to the 6th Fleet from 14 November 1967 to 23 April 1968. She sailed to South America in July 1968 to hold antisubmarine warfare operations and to visit ports in Puerto Rico, Brazil, and St. Lucia Island. After resuming her normal operations from Norfolk in September, Stormes deployed to the Mediterranean with DesRon 32 on 6 January 1969. The six-month tour ended upon her return to Norfolk on 31 May. The remainder of the year and into June 1970, she operated from her home port.

When Stormes returned to Norfolk from her last east coast port call on 18 June, she began preparing for inactivation. Stormes was placed out of commission, in reserve, on 5 December 1970. She was struck from the Navy list on 16 February 1972. Stormes was sold to Iran on 16 February 1972 and serves that country's government as Palang (DDG-9).

Stormes received one battle star for World War II, three for service in Korea, and one for service in Vietnam


Chimpanzee Enos wearing a space suit and lying in his flight couch as a handler holds his hands while being prepared for insertion into the Mercury-Atlas 5 capsule. NASA Image

Lift-off of Mercury-Atlas 5 with space chimp Enos November 19, 1961 from Kennedy Space Center. NASA Image

Mission Information:

Enos was purchased from the Miami Rare Bird Farm in April of 1960. He completed more than 1250 hours of training for his mission at the University of Kentucky and Holloman Air Force Base. His training was more intense than Ham's because he would be exposed to weightlessness and high g-forces for longer periods of time. His training included psychomotor training and aircraft flights. Enos was selected to make the first orbital animal flight only 3 days before the launch. Two months before allowing a chimp to be launched into orbit, NASA had launched Mercury Atlas 4 on September 13, 1961 to conduct the same mission with a "crewman simulator" in the spacecraft. Enos flew into space on board Mercury Atlas 5 in November of 1961. He completed his first orbit in 1 hour and 28.5 minutes. Enos was originally scheduled to complete 3 orbits, but was brought back after the second orbit because the spacecraft was not maintaining proper attitude. Enos was glad to return to Earth. According to observers, Enos jumped for joy and ran around the deck of the recovery ship enthusiastically shaking the hands of his rescuers. Enos' flight was a full dress rehearsal for the next Mercury launch on February 20, 1962, which would make Lt. Colonel John Glenn the first American to orbit the Earth.

Chimpanzee Enos wearing a space suit and wrist tethers. NASA Image

Enos arrives back at Patrick Air Force Base after his flight. Enos landed 220 nautical miles south of Bermuda and was picked up by the U.S.S. Stormes. NASA Image.